I think the lack of parenthesis is more confusing to the programmer.

Knowing a list's ',', concat's '.', and die's arg bind tighter that 'or'
is nice, but it is something that doesn't have to be decoded
by the programmer (or interpreter) when considering or modifying
this line in the future. You can parens 'die' if you wanted to be
absolutely clear:

open(PASSWD, "> $passwd_file")
   or die("There was an error opening the password file.\n");

Fortunately and unfortunately, TMTOWTDI. :-)

Is the var supposed to be named '$passwd_file' and not
'$passw_file'?

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 03:13:55PM -0500, Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001, Jay Kline wrote:
> > open PASSWD, '>' . $passw_file or die "There was an error opening the password
> > file.\n";
>
> Never seen a file opened that way, try:
>
> open(PASSWD,">$file");

His usage should be equivalent, but I suppose the lack of (parens)
could be confusing the interpreter.