I am trying to set up virtual pop accounts using Qmail. I know there are several
ways of doing this, but the way I went with is outlined at
http://www.pgregg.com/projects/qmail/single-uid-howto.php

I am not very familiar with Qmail, and cant seem to find any decent documentation
really explaining everything.  There is a file /var/qmail/users/assign that I am
not really sure of the syntax and all the fields.  According to the howto
mentioned above, I should be able to do a line like this:

=slushpupie-com-list:popuser:101:101:/var/qmail/popboxes/slushpupie-com/slushpupie
-list:::

which means all incoming mail addressed to list at slushpupie.com will use
/var/qmail/popboxes/slushpupie-com/slushpupie-list/.qmail to decide how to deliver
the mail
In that file I have just the line

./Maildir/

and in that directory I have a Maildir directory.  All is owned by popuser
(UID=101).  However, when I send mail to list at slushpupie.com (using that test mail
server for the SMTP server) the message doesn't seem to go anywhere. I check the
logs and it seems to be receiving the message ok.

Then there is the POP authentication, I am using the method described in the howto
(only I am using the Jedi checklocalpwd program, not his modified one (for
whatever reason, his didn't do the logging he says it does).  When I telnet to
port 110, here is what happens:

dogbert:/$ telnet localhost 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to dogbert.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <4594.996505155 at dogbert.slushpupie.com.slushpupie.com>
user slushpupie-list
+OK
pass password
-ERR unable to scan $HOME/Maildir
Connection closed by foreign host.
dogbert:/$

I am sure the password is correct, because I get an authentication error if I use
something else.  So What is happening here?

Thanks,

Jay

--
Jay Kline