What the heck, I'll toss my two-cents in.... BTW, in the interest of
full-disclosure, my company is cohosting the D6/K event on August 7, and
co-showing Kylix at TCLUG sometime soon. Also, I'm looking at the posts via
digest, so some this may have already been answered.

AFAIK, the only place you can download Kylix is from Borland. You didn't
hear it from me,
but if you don't want to add your name to YACD, you could always.....
Doesn't everybody? If you want to mirror it, go ahead. But don't come crying
to me if everybody hits your server.

UI-less daemons faster? Maybe, maybe not. Just like any quality development
tool, it has an extensive library. But UI-less daemons isn't really the
point of Kylix--it's about building GUI applications, data base access (the
more the merrier), and web server plug-ins faster than ever before.

The language barrier. C, C++, Python, Perl, make, CORBA IDL, Java,
JavaScript, HTML, vi, emacs, etc., etc. Why not toss in a little Object
Pascal if Kylix will help you get your software out the door even faster?
(BTW, there are plans to release a C++ edition of Kylix.)

Yes, tons of people are downloading it..... As soon as the announcement hit,
Borland's servers were quite busy. It may take a few tries to download it
successfully. If you want to try any of the Apache stuff, you'll need to
download the Enterprise Trial edition. If you don't care for the Apache and
"enterprise" DB stuff, and want to build non-GPL software, buy Kylix Desktop
from Mark (Logicworks) for less than $199. (Yeah, shameless plug.)

Win2K version? Delphi 6. Been out for a while. Keep in mind, though, that
Kylix was based on Delphi 5, so some of the nifty new features in D6 are not
present in Kylix.

Build on Win2K or Linux, and compile on the other? Yes. However, you will
need both Kylix and Delphi 6.

Lee Behrens