Nate Carlson wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, AAAunderground wrote:
>
>> I am in need of a usb 802.11 network adapter that likes Linux. I bought a
>> D-Link DWL-120 (may return to BestBuy) and have yet to make it work. The
>> only thing I have found on the internet in regards to a driver that might
>> work is the pegasus driver. However it is for 10/100 baseT. I haven't
>> "really" tried to make it work yet. I have not found any Hardware
>> Compatability lists that even speak of such a device.
>> Has anyone played with 802.11/USB devices under Linux? I found a couple of
>> projects on freshmeat that look promising. Maybe I'm better off just
>> getting pci cards.(but I don't want to).
>

> I've used:
>
> LinkSys USB100TX (Pegasus)
> NetGear EA101 (Kaweth; took a bit of messing around in the BIOS)

The 802.11b standard is wireless. The devices stated above are both
802.3 which is ethernet. Anyway, I found one project on Sourceforge for
the AT76C503A chip that is found in both of the usb adapters I have
tried to make work.
<rant>I really _hate_ plastic hardware. I felt like I was going to break
the studid thing, peeling the case apart. Of coarse I wouldn't have
needed to do that if Linksys had of been nice enough to include that
information _somewhere_ that is publicly accessible.</rant>
So, the pegasus driver is not going to work for my adapter. Is there
anyone that might be will to write a driver for such a thing? I would
certainly be willing to trade code for whatever.(fairly open whatever)
I really want to use usb adapters for this project. The MB are
"all-in-wonder" specials. So, I'd just as soon not stress their
resources more than need be. The most frustrating part of it is:
the machines dual with win***s, it is brainless to make it work under
the redmond tree. AAAArrrrggghhh...

--
DIYorDIE
SpencerUnderground