On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:41:16 -0500
HOEFFNER at dcmir.med.umn.edu wrote:

> Hi
>
> Some dumb questions:
>
>  > /
>         IP Address      : 10.0.0.250
>         Subnet Mask     : 255.255.255.0
> ???     Default Gateway : 10.0.0.250 <- ?? How can it resolve its own
problems?
>         Syslog Server   : Not Specified

To be honest, I have no idea where to set the gateway, or what the
significance might be. When I set the IP address, it automatically set the
gateway to the same value. Shrug.

> root at homer:# lpd -P skinner xwindows.txt
>
> ???  Isn't this lpr? Perhaps the space between the P and the skinner
isn't
>      significant, but I've seen where it is.

Yeah, this is the only line that I _didn't_ cut & paste... it is SUPPOSED
TO READ:

lpr -P hptq xwindows.txt

I even fscked up the errata... =/

> root at Homer:/var/spool/lpd# cat status
>
> ??? I thought spooldir was lpd/hptq

this is also a mystery. HP never told me to _create_ /var/spool/lpd/hptq
.. so I didn't. The lpd just dupmed the spooled jobs into /var/spool/lpd.
Then for kicks I mkdir hptq... lpd _still_ dumped the jobs into
/var/spool/lpd. I don't understand this behaviour either.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-