I have been able to successfully setup qmail on several Debian systems
using the instructions from Life With Qmail
(http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html) and the debian packages
availible via:
deb ftp://ftp.innominate.org/gpa/Debian potato unofficial

The source has got all the pieces (qmail, dot-forward, ucspi-tcp, etc)

Dave