Hello all,

I would like to synchronize several computers to a NTP server in a LAN
not connected to the internet. My NTP server uses its own clock and the
NTP clients do not known server's IP. Therefore I need to use broadcast
or multicast synchronization.

In the server machine, I run xntpd daemon using the following
/etc/ntp.conf file:

    server  127.127.1.0    # local clock
    fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10

    driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    broadcast 192.67.79.255
    broadcastdelay  0.008

    authenticate no
    disable auth

    # Keys file.  If you want to diddle your server at run time, make a
    # keys file (mode 600 for sure) and define the key number to be
    # used for making requests.
    # PLEASE DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT VALUES HERE. Pick your own, or
remote
    # systems might be able to reset your clock at will.
    #
    #keys           /etc/ntp/keys
    #trustedkey     65535

In every client machine, xntpd is running with following /etc/ntp.conf
file:

    driftfile /etc/ntp/drift
    broadcastclient yes
    broadcastclient 192.67.79.255   # listen on default 192.67.79.255
    broadcastdelay  0.008

    authenticate no
    disable auth

    # Keys file.  If you want to diddle your server at run time, make a
    # keys file (mode 600 for sure) and define the key number to be
    # used for making requests.
    # PLEASE DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT VALUES HERE. Pick your own, or
remote
    # systems might be able to reset your clock at will.
    #
    #keys           /etc/ntp/keys
    #trustedkey     65535

And then the problem is that the computers clients don't synchronize
with the computer server.

Best regards. Thanks.

--
| Roman Rodriguez Perea               | Visual Tools, S.A.  | Tel [+34] 91 729 48 44 |
| Technology Dept.                    | Isla Graciosa , 1   | Tel [+34] 91 358 52 36 |