This came through a techie list I'm on - thought I'd see what comments
the TCLUG'ers had about it!

----- Forwarded message from Michael Brian Bentley <bentley at crenelle.com> -----

An intriguing article about how the RBOCs may have intentionally
caused problems and delays in the process of installing DSL equipment
to support ISPs.

http://www.herring.com/index.asp?layout=story&channel=%25&doc_id=170019817&rh_special_report_id=

"...Mr. Olson says that in late 1999, when Oacys owned about 85
percent of the local dial-up market, his customers began asking about
DSL. At that time, he says, his Pac Bell account manager assured him
Pac Bell wouldn't offer DSL in Porterville because of its relatively
weak demographics (a small population and little industry). One week
later, he discovered by accident that Pac Bell, in fact, would begin
selling DSL in Porterville within a month. Unoffended, he ordered DSL
line provisioning for Oacys. "They didn't have the pricing worked
out, but they gave me some price quotes verbally that they later
backed out on," he says."

"Thus began a 15-month ordeal that left Mr. Olson sworn off DSL
forever. Pac Bell originally claimed it would have the Oacys DSLAM
running within a month but didn't deliver service until November
2000, one year after Oacys filed its application. The delays included
everything from simple stonewalling to technicians hooking up the
DSLAM to the wrong power panel, according to Mr. Olson. The Keystone
Kops quality of the situation might have been amusing had Oacys not
begun losing customers during the delay. "It was definitely an 'egg
on our face' situation," Mr. Olson says."

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org