Depending on the size of the tape, that could take a very long time.  An
erase isn't always a quick operation.  If you think it might not be
working properly, do a 'dmesg' while it's operating and see if any errors
have come up (I'm mainly familiar with SCSI at this point, so your mileage
may vary if you're using something else).  You should also try a kill -HUP
before jumping to kill -9.

Making the process hang may've hosed you.  I'm not sure what else you
could do if those kills weren't enough.  If your tape is external, try
unplugging it and waiting a few minutes (I'd give it at least 10) to fail
out with an I/O failure.  If that doesn't work, you're probably stuck
rebooting or possibly changing runlevel.

--
Michael Vieths
Foeclan at Winternet.Com