On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 06:00:33PM -0500, tim wrote:

>Is anyone else planning on attending the protests at Adobe on Monday?
No
>I'm on the free-sklyarov mailing list and most cities are planning to
>continue with the protest on schedule Monday.  (as well they should to
>raise public awareness of the DMCA).
Maybe the protest isn't the best way, but informing the public of what harm
the DMCA can cause due to it's over-simplification of what constitutes a
"crime" when learning about and publishing "circumvention" devices. I wonder
if MasterLock could come after me for using a "circumvention" device to cut a
lock and then publishing a white paper on how to cut the lock using parts
purchased at a local hardware store?! (*ahem* rhetorical sarcasm *ahem*)

>Adobe has made their bed - and they're going to have to sleep in it.
No, their lawyers will sleep in it, and we all know pigs are right at home in
filth and dirt. I have to say I think you are missing the root of the problem.
It's an unjust set of laws that needs to be repealed and revised with special
attention paid to the implications of what specifically is made to be illegal.

In addition to that, <rant> the entire justice system needs an overhaul. A
"code audit" if you will. We cannot continue on a course with no structured
form of maintaining the legitimacy of laws, and making sure laws pass a set
criteria which maintains that laws constitutionality. </rant>

I don't know how to go about it, or what it would consist of, but it's obvious
to me that our current system is failing us.

Then again, reading the latest Slashdot article on the Taliban's proscribed
items list makes me very very happy I live in MN where my biggest concern on a
daily basis is whether I can get the blower in my car to kick in so my A/C
works! I'd be more pissed if the ruling party of my country made the internet
illegal...
>I guess Adobe has an office near Roseville...   I can get more details if
>needed.
No bombs! :-)
--
Thomas J. Hudak
Systems Administrator

sleep: Command not found - The story of my life...