Thanks for your helpful info!  I thought I would give you an update.  My
system was hacked.  I spent the better part of last evening purging the
intruder.  He gave himself a lot of back doors, some I probably didn't
find, but as best as I can tell he:

- installed a bunch of scripts in /dev/.lib (which he created).
Including such names as hack.sh and probe.sh.  He was looking for other
machines with the same weekness as mine.
- setup two accounts for himself, one with root privileges, of course.
- Added two entries to inetd.conf, one that runs a shell and the other
ran a program he installed in /sbin.
- installed a bunch of stuff in /tmp

Anyway, to be safe I reinstalled the system and patched bind.

Seth