On Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:44:13 -0500
"Jim Crumley" <crumley at belka.space.umn.edu> wrote:

> So here's a situation for the hardware doctors in the house.
>
> My Pentium 200 MMX at home seems to be dying. The first warning was
> that I got an error message about a possible IO conflict on 2F8
> (IRQ 3?) while boot,

First thing that comes to mind, especially in light of the machine's age,
is a bad CMOS battery. If the battery failed, the machine would tend to
reset the CMOS parameters to default - which would in turn enable both
serial ports and create the IO conflict you are seeing. The settings could
also simply have been corrupted by a marginal battery, with some
parameters such that the system doesn't want to boot (RAM wait states,
etc).

Test the CMOS battery with a voltmeter - it should be 3 volts or so. If
not, replace it, reset the CMOS to the 'most compatible' defaults, and see
how things go.

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-