On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 08:44:13AM -0500, Jim Crumley wrote:
> So here's a situation for the hardware doctors in the house.
>
> My Pentium 200 MMX at home seems to be dying. The first warning was
> that I got an error message about a possible IO conflict on 2F8
> (IRQ 3?) while boot, but after booting everything worked fine
> after booting (including the modem which I think is on IRQ 3).
> Next boot, the sytem wouldn't come on at first.  When I hit the
> power the drive LEDs came on, but no boot messages went to the
> screen. Also, the normal boot sounds didn't occur ( beeps, checking
> floppy drive, hard disk searching, etc.)  I hit the power again,
> waited a couple of minutes, when I turned it on it booted and worked
> fine (though the IO warning was still there). Then, the last couple
> of times I tried to turn it on, it didn't work at all (it acted
> just like the other time).
>
> At first I thought the problems might be heat related since
> I have no AC, but I tried this morning when the temp was below
> 80, and still no luck.
>
> So any hints on what I should try? Is it probably my motherboard?

I have had a motherboard dying to me this way... I shut down the machine,
powered it on 5 minutes later and... Nothing. (it worked flawlessly for over
a year and before the last reboot it had a couple of weeks uptime).

It happens...

florin

--

"If it's not broken, is because you are not fixing it enough."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4