<guess>
Well, I'm no rsync expert, but have you tried compiling rsync from the same
sources on each machine?  Could be a version mis-match...
</guess>

Gabe

Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu