As I learned, Windows dummifies you.  That going from Dos 2.x to Win9x
lost a lot of experience on command line stuff cause it wasn't used as
much anymore.

As to starting earlier, I would've liked to of to kept up with with my
pc schooling back in High School (Apple Basic and Pascal) but I didn't.
 Was off to see the world, and become a grease monkey afterwards.

For my son, his machine in Win98se only for his games.  I'll reload and
put Linux (Slackware 8) on it in the near future.  He'll be 9 in
December, should be a good age to start him off on....

Shawn