> There should be no need for this complexity in the front end. Use
> massively complex and ugly SQL instead. ;)
>
> Something like:
>
> select * from
>   (select date, eventtype1stuff_1, eventtype1stuff_2, null, null from
> eventtype1
>   union
>   select date, null, null, eventtype2stuff_1, eventtype2stuff_2 from
> eventtype2)
> order by date desc;
>
> Does your head hurt yet? ;)

eh? I've had worse. Ok, so this is join the two tables into one and sort
by the date, great. Then on the php side I need to someone know what table
type it is / what fields are there.

something like:

(if eventtype1stuff_1!=null) print "You've got
$eventtype1stuff_1 in type 1";

if (eventtype2stuff_2!=null) print "You've got other stuff like
$eventype2stuff_1 in type 2."

its the need for php to know which table type it is that makes me want to
have a field in both for table type (or some identifying) characteristic.

> Use MySQL if you want a cheezy little web page.

Sadly, that's what I want.

Thanks again,

Ben