On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> mind you, it made a *big* difference when I went from a stock RH
> 2.2.14 kernel to a 2.2.18. CPU usage dropped, and it freed virtual
> memory *much* better.

I noticed a great increase in performance going from 2.2.12<?> to
2.2.17pre6 or higher.  It seems that somewhere around 2.2.15 someone made
some fairly important fixes in the time-sharing scheduler, but that's just
a guess on my part.  Does anyone follow that stuff closely enough to have
a fairly authoritative explanation?  (I'm talking about thing like
BogoMIPS double on the same machine.)

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous