And a third! The only advantage I see to VMWares server is that they
configure it for you. But really, samba isn't hard to configure until you
start playing with domains and stuff. Even then...well... :)

Since I'm on a Win2K domain I have the samba on my workstation joined to
the domain, and when I connect to the host machine via vmware it doesn't
ask for passwords or anything as I'm logged into the domain in the VMware
session. Slick overall.

You could do the samw with samba as your domain controller, but it should
work just fine if you set samba's security to share. You won't be asked
for a password, so you may want to go security=user and use smbpasswd to
create your samba users.

Then just map a drive, have windows remember your password, and you're
good to go. You don't even have to get it to use plaintext passwords as VM
Ware tools suggests.

I tried VMWare's samba server once, and decided it wasn't worth it as
samba was allready setup.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"We can learn much more from wise words, little
from wisecracks and less from wise guys."
--William Arthur Ward