I'm trying to create a pretty simple web site in php3 that will use mysql.
I want php generate a table of upcoming events, sorted by the date and
time field. There are two types of events, which have different fields
that I want in the mysql database

type a: location, event name, contact
type b: person1, person2, email

Do I make a big table with (date, time, event type, location, event name,
contact, person1, person2, email) and only use the fields appropiate to
the event type?

Do I make two tables:

table a: date, location, event name, contact
table b: date, person1, person2, email

Then when I want to make a big table of all events do I join them and sort
by date / time? Will I need a field in each so I can tell if the data in
the merged talbe came from table a or table b ( since php will display
them differently)?

Thanks,

Ben