Aaaah... So it is the question that is the problem. :-)
I am trying to boot several different versions of 2.4.6.  They all look into the
same directory for kernel modules - /lib/modules/2.4.6.  I thought it had
something to do with the System.map file.  Guess not.
So... How do I do it then?  What tells the kernel where it's modules are?

Florin Iucha wrote:

> > >Just wondering if there was a way to have different kernel's pointing to
> > >there own special module directory.  Maybe some LILO parameters?  Would
> > >GRUB do it?
> >
> > I always copy my system.map into the same dir as my kernel like so and
> > never have a problem.

You mean you have your kernel's inside of a directory inside of /boot?

> >/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.6
> > /boot/System.map-2.4.6

This is what I have.  The thing is that it supposedly looks for the file
System.map.  So that System.map file would be useless (supposedly).  If It's not
in the boot directory it looks in the /usr/src/linux directory.  That's what I
heard at least.  So I always do a symbolic link from that file to System.map.
Apparently it's waisted effort...
:-)

> > You don't really need the system.map AFAIK, if I omit it entirely nothing
> > seems to care. Only reason I copy it there is out of habit.
>
> AFAIK it is only used when you decode an oops. If your kernel doesn't oops...

This makes sense... But....
What tells the kernel where it's modules are?

sim