On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Jay Kline wrote:

> I am not sure you got what I am doing.  I want to have init level 4
> have only one display, and init level 5 have 2. I think to do this you
> need to have two entries in init..  unless there is another way.

[XKG]DM shouldn't be started from init directly. It's a daemon just like
anything else (ftpd, sshd, etc.) and should therefore have a startup
script.

Now, to start a daemon differently based on runlevel, check the RUNLEVEL
environment variable from the startup script. That avoids polluting the
inittab and such things.

Of course, there's more than One Way, so do what makes sense to you.

Pacem in Terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock