On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 09:13:58PM -0500, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm not sure who would know this, but I know some of you work at or attend
> the U.
>
> Can anyone say for sure whether I'll be able to plug in my laptop in the
> meeting room and get on the Internet? Will there be a DHCP server somewhere
> that will give me an IP address?
>
> If that won't be possible, I'll need a different computer to use for the
> demo because I'd like to show some Zope goodies live.

Ok, I've seen a few guesses as to the situation, but I think I may be able
to provide more info (although, Ben Kochie works for the IMA, who control
3-180, and would prolly know the most about it).  AFAIK, the networking in
3-180 is _not_ tied into the U's DHCP system.  I've been out of the loop on
the CS building for about a year, though, so that may have changed.  I'm
sure there will be people there, however, who do have X.500 accounts at the
U (I being one) so it maybe possible to get your NIC registered.  But I
don't know how long it takes to get into their system (they _say_ 24
hours).  One thing is for sure, though, there's _no way_ you're going to be
able to just walk in and plug into the network and have everything work.
Could you imagine if they let anyone just plug into their network and get
access?  Chaotic network anarchy comes to mind....

If you send me your MAC address right now, though, I could register it just
in case, and then we can hope that it's in the system, though we can't
necessarily rely on that.

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu