On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 07:58:10PM -0500, spencer wrote:
> I have been battling with the samba server the last two days. It was
> working just fine and then began to fall apart slowly but surely. From a
> windows box on logon it would tell you no domain server was available
> yadda yadda, but it would still give you access to the smb shares. Then
> it decided to just say no domain server available or you don't have access
> to the server. So I fiddle and get it somewhat working. I can view the smb
> shares from a linux with no problem. smbmount no problem. Then after
> making (I think) no changes the daemon will not stay running.
> When I do
> /etc/rc.d/init/smb restart
> it fails on shutting down and gives ok for starting up.
> /etc/rc.d/init smb status reveals
> smbd stopped
> nmbd stopped
> So, I decided I didn't like the current system configuration and reload
> RH7.1. Upon reload the daemons run fine. Change the /etc/samba/smb.conf
> file and smbadduser and smbpasswd and the thing breaks again.
> I added to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file
> /usr/sbin/smbd -D
> /usr/sbin/nmbd -D
> and rebooted.
> Same scenario. Is it just Friday the 13th or just the broken smb stack?

I'm guessing you probably found a bug.  Have you tried running an strace on
it?  gdb is also your friend.  Also, I'd imagine that the Samba team has a
bugtracking system somewhere.  Maybe it's a known issue...

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu