> you can only run 1 guest at a time, etc.
Even on a 1ghz box with 256mb of ram I don't dare run more than one VMWare
Workstation.

VMWare Express is basically VMware's answer to Win4Lin cutting into their
business. Win4Lin still has a slight advantage in price and performance
however. But yes, you're limited to Win9x.

I presonally love having VMWare workstation around for testing stuff.
VMWare Workstation is excelent for that. (Undoable disks are great!) On
the machines I run it on it is very usable.

Both VMWare and Win4Lin require kernel modifactions. VMWare's are in the
form of modules, and if you're kernel changes you simply have to run
vmware-config.pl to rebuild the VMWare modules. After you do this the
first time, you can just do vmware-config.pl -d and it will do it with no
interaction from you. Currently VMWare supports anything 2.4.6 and below,
and they're decently quick about releasing a new version if a new kernel
breaks things.

Win4Lin by comparsion doesn't support as many kernels. I'm not quite sure,
but I don't think they've gotten past 2.4.2 yet. (Bummer for me as I like
using tmpfs in the newer kernels.) Instead of using modules for Win4Lin,
you have to patch your kernel (or use one of the pre built kernels
provided by Netraverse.) So you can't simply grab the latest kernel
package from debian and keep on running with Win4Lin.

Netraverse has also fallen into the RPM is the only way to deal with software
install, so Debian and Slackware users are going to have loads of fun
installing. The Win4Lin 2.X installer doesn't work at all under Debian. Not
sure about the 3.0 installer.

Overall, VMWare is better designed. You do need plenty of RAM, and a good
fast processor goes along way. Win4Lin is runnable on lower end machines,
even pentium 1. Don't go with anything less than 300mhz for VMWare, and I
strongly suggest more than 128mb of ram.

Hope that was helpful...

Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977
http://www.ringworld.org  | PCS:  612.306.6055
They must not get baseball sized hail in Redmond.
If they did MS would have realized HailStorm is a
bad name for their new services.