I am in the process of setting up a brand new system here and I am about
ready to scream trying to get my network connection working.  Can anyone
help by pointing me in the right direction.

Here's where I'm at:

I have a 3Com 3c905 from Tran.  I know this card works as I swapped it in
another system and all is OK.  Lights on the card are up as well as the
lights on the switch.  They even blink when I ping or attempt telnet or
such.

The 3c59x module loads just fine.

The interface shows up in the ifconfig listing and shows that it is
transmitting, but not receiving.

I can run tcpdump on another system on the same subnet and watch the arp
requests if I try to ping from the 'broken' computer.

I can't ping the broken computer and it does not show any traffic using
tcpdump.

The `route -n` output is the same on the broken computer as it is on the
working system.

I have gone through my /etc/network/interface file and made sure the
various settings are correct.  (IE: network, gateway, etc are all the
same.  Only the IP is different)

As a last resort I even tossed in my trusty Bootable Business Card and
tried to setup the network using DHCP, but that failed.  (The DHCP Server
got the Discover request and sent the Offer response, but the
trivial-net-setup script failed.)

What am I missing?  This is a debian 2.2 system straight from the CD's.

I'm betting I just screwed up something really simple, but I have looked
at this so much I must be missing something.

TIA for any help.

Dave