On Tue, 10 Jul 2001, Austad, Jay wrote:

> I'm moving into a new place in about 2 weeks.  I have preordered my phone
> line, but the line doesn't currently qualify for DSL.  They are unsure of
> the exact reason, but it could be because it's over 15k feet (it's 16,100
> feet), and DSL works fine up to about 18k feet.

Be careful; the key word is *about*.

> If the only reason though is distance, does anyone know a good way to get
> them to hook me up anyway?  16,100 feet is still less than the distance I
> was from the CO at a previous place and it worked just fine (over 17,000
> feet).

The trick is getting to talk to someone that really knows.  The process /
system they have set up right now makes the assumption that whenever they
transfer you to a technical person, you get people who are equally
qualified / knowledgable.

The thing is, a different CO *MAY* have a different range of service for a
number of reasons including geography and the particular equipment and
history of the development of that region.  There may be an engineer who
could explain to you why they can the 17,500' at one CO, but only 14,900'
from the equipment at a different orifice.

As someone else said, ask again.  You may never get the answer you want,
but you might, and you should badger them about why it *isn't* the answer
you want.  I have found that politely saying "Well, I understand it's not
*your* fault, but do you think you could find me someone in engineering
to explain this and satisfy my own compulsions" often gets results.

Also, you might check on www.dslreports.com and see what further
comparative information you can get about the CO's.  They do have info, so
you can found out what your CO is and about your new CO, and how they
compare.  Then you might see that everyone in a region is getting equally
hosed (i.e., it really won't happen) or if you seem to be the only guy
getting the special treatment. ;)

HTH

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous