> Just trying to figure out what I need to get ssh working on my box. The docs
> are ok at openssh.org but kinda confusing to me, not sure where to start. So if
> someone can suggest a nice book or some hints that would be cool.

don't let the documentation overwhelm you... SSH is a very powerful tool;
but it's also *really* simple to use. the SSH man page ought to start out
with a 'quick start' paragraph; *then* launch into the scary whys and
hows and wherefores.

most distros have ssh available as one of their packages now. install the
openssh, openssh-client, and/or openssh-server packages (or whatever they're
named in your preferred distro). openssl will be a requirement, so you will
have to install that, if you don't have it already.

then just 'ssh <hostname>' from the box you installed on.
to set up an ssh server; run /etc/init.d/sshd start (or whatever the path
to the init script may be on your distro).

it's all a heck of a lot simpler than the documentation makes it appear at
first. :)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer