On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 09:16:08AM -0500, Jay Kline wrote:

> >On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 11:05:26AM -0500, Jay Kline wrote:
> >> I installed Linux by hand (using LFS as a guide, but many customizations
> >> along the way).
> >
> >Good luck to you, brave soul.
>
> Really, its not that hard.  I have a fully working system, and I know
> everything in it.  I know what version everything is, and best of all, I
> don't have 10 window managers (read: bloat) installed, only what I want.  I
> highly recommend anyone who has the time, to give it a try.  The nice part
> about it is you don't loose your current setup while you do it; they coexist
> very nicely.

Well it's not hard to build a plane, it's hard to make it fly.

The main problem is maintaining and upgrading your system. "make install" is
nice but most of the packages do not have a "make uninstall".

C'mon: no Linux distribution installs by default more than 2-3 window
managers and of course you have to click "No" for hours in all the menus
deselecting stuff you don't use.

If you are tired of that, try Debian. It installs a bare minimum and then asks
you what to install, without putting too much in the defaults...

florin

--

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4