On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Bob Tanner wrote:

> I swear I read that IBM has an IA64 computer for sale, but I cannot find it on
> their web site anywhere.
>
> Was I sleep deprived when I read this? Just wishful thinking?
>
> Since Redhat will announce on Monday Redhat 7.1 for IA64, I wanted to
> know where the heck you could run this.

I am not in touch with that scene too much, but in comp.os.vms there has
been a lot of info about IA64 and who has it, since Intel's *VERY*
Microsoft-ish purchase of the Alpha design team.  If you look on google,
and are ready to do some pretty serious wading through FUD, politics, and
religious fervor, you can probably find some good clues there.  IBM I
think does, but I also believe there are a couple of other companies with
machines ready to go.  (HP, I think.)  You won't be able to touch any of
them for less than about $5k, from the sounds of what I hear on the
grapevine.

Note:  The IA64 isn't going to be competitive until at *least* it's third
generation, from the sounds of both Intel and non-Intel sources.  (Hearsay
from me, I realize.)  But one possible reason they bought Alpha is to
cover their as* in case they can't fix IA64.  <opinion>Bastards.</opinion>

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous