On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:32:51PM -0700, Jason Hataye wrote:

> I've finally got around to installing a new linux system with Red Hat
> 7.1 this week, so thanks for your comments a few weeks ago!  I have
> another question for you.  I can't seem to get my modem to work.  I know
> it works because I used linux kernel 2.2.16 with it before, and also I
> can use it with MS windows.
>
> I'm somewhat confused and baffled.  Here's the immediate problem(s)
>
> 1) the kppp PPP program I'm using--when I attempt to initialize the
> modem, a window pops up saying "modem isn't responding"
>
> 2) the red hat PPP program, when it trys to search for a modem it
> doesn't
> find one.
>
> Here's what I know:
>
> I have an ISA PnP modem (not a winmodem), US Robotics brand.
>
> when I boot windows instead of linux, the modem works and is using COM2
> serial port.  this is how i am sending this very email.
>
> linux seems to have the correct info as far as the serial port is
> concerned.  for example, when I type "setserial -a /dev/ttyS1" I get
> what seems like all the right info: IRQ=3 and i/o=02f8.  At least I'm
> pretty sure this is what I want.  I don't know however if my hardware is
> actually set to this.
>
> I tried making the symbolic link from /dev/ttyS1 to /dev/modem just out
> of frustration, but to no avail.
>
> when i boot linux, linux indeed acknowledges that I have a US Robotics
> modem installed, and seems to be happy with the PnP.  (by the way, do
> you know how to slow down all of the boot messages that zoom by?  I
> can't read the whole thing before it's gone.)

dmesg | less

> that's all i can think of to tell you.  any thoughts?

Install minicom and try to talk directly to the modem.
Leave /dev/ttyS1 -> /dev/modem link.

Try to give the modem an "AT". If it answers with an "OK", then you see it.

Another thing: shut down the machine completely and the power it up and boot
into linux. Windows sometimes does funny things to the devices (the soundcard
in my laptop doesn't work when I reboot from Win2k into Linux).

florin

--

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4