On Tuesday 03 July 2001  1:11 pm, you wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 01:08:42PM -0500, Gabe Turner wrote:
> > > Thanks Jay, this worked. I tried searching the archives but didn't find
> > > anything there. Gee, I wonder why linuxconf (which, BTW, doesn't
> > > automatically install in 7.1) couldn't make the change?!
> >
> > Linuxconf is junk.  To change your network config, you should be running
> > the command "setup", then choosing "Network configuration".
>
> Hmm... Ignore me.  Apparently you can only set ip/netmask/dsn/etc there.
> not hostname.

Well, linuxconf is a Good Idea, but I would think most people using Linux
would want to eventuly know what is going on with their system so that they
could easily change something.  For example, the hostname.  I have been using
Linux for quite some time now, and finally feel the need to break away from
the distros.  They are great and all, but if you really want your system to
run the way you want it to, and no other way, you should build your own.  The
automatic confisuration of everything is too inflexable, because they want it
to work for the greatest number of people.  And at a begining or intermediate
stage, this is fine.  But if you want flexibility, they cant do it for you.
For the last 2 years, I have used Slackware and Mandrake, and when I did, I
never used the tools they had to configure things. I did it my own way.  It
was just  a few months ago I ran into problems with Linuxconf messing things
up that I had worked on.  I tried removing it, but the rpms had so many
dependancies, I couldnt.  (well, I did, but sort of hosed my system in the
process)

So to everyone out there who gets sick of linuxconf, setup, or any other
general setup tool, you do have another option.  LFS (Linux From Scratch)

Ok, you can have the soapbox back now.

Jay

--
Marriage is the waste-paper basket of the emotions.