On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Joshua Jore wrote:

> You shouldn't have to include that line anyway. The kernel looks for a few
> things by default.

The boot line is to counteract the line in /etc/lilo.conf long enough
to remove or fix it.

> >From memory (in order, check um... main.c I think):
>
> /sbin/init
> /etc/init
> /bin/sh
> /etc/sh
>
> And you guys should be using /bin/sh instead of hardcoding /bin/bash. What
> if you wanted to switch the Korn or c shell? Obviously some scripts use
> shell specific features but that's not most stuff - especially the boot
> loader. /bin/sh is supposed to be a symlink the the shell of your choice.

You are correct about /bin/sh, it is just normally a symlink to /bin/bash.
MANY scripts break if you symlink /bin/sh to a non-Bourne compatible
shell. (bash, ash, BSD sh)
Ideally you should have /bin/sash staticly linked for emergencies (has
almost everything you could use in a recovery built-in).