On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 05:46:24PM -0500, David Christian wrote:
> However, I can't seem to get procmail to run right.  Right now I just
> have one rule that sends the mail from tclug to a folder.  That rule
> works, but I don't get the rest of my mail.  It's an RH7.1 system.
> Does anyone know why?

Hmm, not sure what's going wrong.  But here are a few pointers.

> And a .procmailrc that looks like this:
>
> PATH=$HOME/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.

Never put "." in your path, especially in a script!  That's very
dangerous.

> MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail  # You'd better make sure it exists
> DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
> LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
VERBOSE=yes  # add lots of detail to your log file.  This should help
             # you figure out what's going on.
> LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

# Filter duplicates
:0 Whc: msgid.lock
| /usr/local/bin/formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

> :0        # Anything from people at tclug
> * ^From.*@mn-linux.org
> tclug     # will go to $MAILDIR/tclug

This is a better recipe:

* ^Sender: tclug-list-admin at mn-linux.org

With mailing lists, I look for a header that the mailing list manager
throws in to do my filtering on.  Right now, if someone with an address
at mn-linux.org sent you a message directly, it would get put in your
tclug folder.  Probably not what you want.  This way (unless you have
the duplicate catch) you'll get direct messages from the list in your
mbox and messages to the list in the folder.

Nate