On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 10:58:10AM -0600, Phil Plumbo wrote:
>Ironically, all this hassle caused me to start investigating cable, and it
>appears that can get far better service for $25 less per month. Hmmm....
As well as a good view of what your neighbor is looking at should you have
pcanywhere installed on a winblows box. I ran a "scan local area network for
servers" a while back, and boy was I suprised.... A list of about 85 open,
unprotected pcanywhere sessions waiting for someone to jump on and read your
e-mail, or watch you surf, or *better* yet, format the HD, were at my
fingertips (Good thing I'm a nice responsible guy.). Go with cable,
you'll love it until 2 or 3 other people jump on and your 2Mbit line drops to
700K, and then a couple more jump on, and it's at 300k, and then you hit peak
and your crawling along the net at a couple bytes a second. (This is all based
on previous experience with att/mediaone broadband 2 way cable.) Oh, and did I
mention they don't like it when you run http/ftp/dns/smtp/imap over their
lines? And did you know that at any time they reserve the right to monitor
your surfing habits and take appropriate actions?(Whatever those are. (Oh, and
they can and do sell that very information to anyone who's got green.)) My
suggestion is bypass the cable crap, bypass the qwest crap and go straight to
covad/speakeasy DSL. It's a little more, for about 40kbps less, but you get 2
IP's for whatever you want, they have an excellent privacy policy, ton's o
services on their website (not to mention speakeasy.net localized games
servers!!) and you can throw a linux box to your mom and say "Call these guys,
they'll walk you through getting your networking setup and DSL working."
Here's a tip about qwest, patience and persistance have their place, but
nothing works better than "<ANGER>I'm a paying customer, I want to speak to your
supervisor immedialtely.</ANGER>". I've dealt w/ usworst/qwest for a couple
years while working for an ISP, and let me tell you, there's nothing more
effective than telling them what to do. You can't expect anyone there to know
anything, but if you tell them, they will listen. It does help to get someone
that shows some signs of intelligence, but good luck.

"The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the
stupidity of your action."