On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 06:23:12PM -0600, brady wrote:
>I'm having problems getting dialed into my ISP with my Linux box.  It
>connects but it always takes 3 or 4 tries at the least.  It dials and seems
>to connect but it never really connects...then it redials.
>
>I tried connecting using minicom but even though it says there's a PPP
>connection made but I can't ping any addresses.
I saw this while setting up linux NAT boxes for some local offices, our
dial-in servers were all NT using the M$-CHAP authentication protocol which
confuses the hell outta ppp unless you have the ms-chap stuff compiled in or
specified as the login to use. I would check to make sure you aren't dial-ing
into an NT server¸ and if you are, urge them to change, and setup ms-chap in
the meantime, it just uses a different encryption algorithm (I don't remember
what right off hand.) but seems to work fine after a couple attempts. That is
the only time I've seen what you've described happen, if you find out anything
else repost, I'd love to know why this happens if it's NOT the due to M$'s
reliance on changing standards for themselves.