Jason DeStefano wrote:

> My 2 cents....
>
> Windows (microsoft for that matter) will be around for a long time
> because they appeal to the non-computer-literate as well as the
> computer literate...Linux does not. My grandma can use windows,
> but she isnt gonna be able to do much with Linux in its current state.

I can't speak to your grandmother's particular situation, but I've
installed Linux systems for word processing and web surfing for my
father-in-law and a family friend (female) both approaching 80. They do
just fine with it, and both of them come from a computer-free background.

When people don't have any prior training, the difference between learning
Win <nnnn> and Gnome/X is nonexistent, and the Linux systems are (if
anything) easier to set up. They also fit better into a retiree's budget.
Since Linux (unlike Windoze) tends to run better and faster with each
release (instead of needing spiraling increases in HW capacity to run), I
was able to set both up on pretty cheap boxes.

If you'd like, I can get your grandma in touch with them ;-)

Lan Barnes                 lanbarnes at earthlink.net
Icon Consulting, Inc       858-273-6677
Key fingerprint = 57D6 C219 140A A81E 26C6  8138 0E62 7F4A 2659 7389

This knowledge is interesting stuff; I give it freely to you,
yet I still have it.
                            - Ted Powell