Hiya,

I have Debian Linux installed on my computer and an external modem.
When I attempt to download anything (like the 2.4.0 kernel for example) my
download constantly cuts out. By this I mean, a connection (ftp or http)
starts, gets a download rate of about 4kb/sec, downloads for about 8
seconds, translating to around 30kb of data, and then it just stops
receiving.
This is very frustrating.

Now, I have tried 2 external modems, and get the same results. Also, I can
download things over a Windoze partition on the same box without these
problems.
I am using an external US Robotics 56k Faxmodem.

I don't see anything in the ppp logs. I also don't see anything in syslog.

If I am doing something like openssh or telnet, the connection does not
drop for a long time - perhaps because I am typing something in....but
after seemingly random amount of time, I will suddenly not be able to
converse with the other end. I end up having to drop my ppp connection and
reconnect to start again.

If it didn't work with Windoze either, I would guess it would be my ISP,
but since it works, I am not sure what is going on here.

____
Mike