Here's my take, and I think I've said it before - though a while back -
it's not specific to *nix, but my *nix experience (hobby though it was)
has helped in most everything I've done. I've played around on Unix (then
linux) since 1991 - mainly user stuff, but you pick up a thing or two -
especially if you have friends (or in my case husband as well) who is a
Unix admin.

When I made the move to IT professionally (and now into software
development) from secretarial work, I made sure I was involved in every
computer related project (or in fact, WAS the computer related project) at
my company - it was small, so it worked well - so I had some admin (tiny,
but there) , some installation and configuration, but most importantly
troubleshooting..I then did a fairly extensive job search which did take
nearly a month. I found a firm (consulting) who was able to read between
the lines and see the difference between what was on paper (sparse) and
how I could relate my knowledge (definitely more) - they got me into a
helpdesk position at a higher level than any other company was willing to
bet on me for, and managed to move into other areas fairly quickly (a heck
of a lot quicker than I would have ever thought) - because I wanted to go
into programming, had done a little bit of development professionally now
(very sparse) and had a programming course under my belt, I started my
next job search a month and a half before my contract ended...and found
another company that was willing to take the risk because they truly felt
and believed that I was willing, ready, and capable of learning, quickly,
efficiently, and could apply that knowledge. I've been in my new job for
almost a month, and already I've proven their initial risk a good one.

And like Mr. Zibowski, I too had been told that I was underexperienced and
overqualified at the same time at one position...it was actually something
I'd run into with more than a couple of positions during this last job
search *chuckle*...

Good luck - and keep plugging away - honestly - if you're new, being
flexible, and willing and able to adapt to any system is far more
important than looking for that one golden job in a *nix environment - if
you get into a large company, find a way to get involved in *nix projects
or at least test boxes. If you're in a small company, find a way to
include linux -

Ah yes, with regards to Windoze - well...it's life and it's out there -
and I've designed a system that was 100% windoze even though my preference
was to install linux because it would be cheaper, better, etc...but
BUSINESS needs dictated a system that could be self-administered with
minimal outside help - especially since I was leaving the company and
wouldn't be an in-house resource at a company where while there are more
than a couple biotech gurus, not one of which I would consider computer
savvy at all - and all largely uncomfortable with computers in general.
I've remained on as network/system consultant on an
on-call/hourly/as-needed basis. It's now been over a year and a half since
I implemented the system. I've received somewhere around 6 calls and they
handle most of their stuff - the stuff I've been called in on have been
software upgrade installations...NO, it's not my preference, but sometimes
business needs do require it.

Take care,
Liz Burke-Scovill

--
Imagination is intelligence having fun...
e-mail:  kethry at winternet.com