You may want to either tar to the disk ( if less than 2GB) or try piping
tar into dump to the tape, but this may cause the same error. Seeing as
you aren't compressing within tar, then why not use dump and pump that
to the tape. It handles multi-tapes properly, and will preserve
ownership and permissisons.

If you have /home on a separate partition then incrementals would also
be possible.

Paul