Steve Paltzer wrote:

> Question. Can you get "Adult" books, magazines, or videos from the Library? No.
> So why do people think they should be able to get simular content from the
> Library's Internet connection.

Why do you think it's good that erotic material isn't available in
libraries?  Even overlooking the reality that you can _always_ find someone
in every community who will say that book B is pornographic ("Catcher in
the Rye," anything by D. H. Lawrence, probably Harry Potter), erotic books
have an important place in our culture, and strike me as being worthy of
serious study. Aren't libraries meant to be places of study?

> bla bla bla... I realy do not want this to turn into a big debate (I say that
> after I have said my peace),

"Piece" unless that's an obscure pun, and it's too late.

> but I am really interested in what Content
> filtering solution I am sure some of you have had to setup.

My understanding of the state of content filtering software ("No Smut Shall
Pass") is that it doesn't come even close to working. Plenty of raunchy
stuff gets through, and lots of legitimate stuff gets blocked.

<rant>

Sorry, but I really do believe that the First Amendment means what it says:

  Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Now, IANAL, but it's my understanding that the courts have always
interpreted this to mean that institutions supported by taxes cannot pick
and choose what is published or made available.

I expect to find "Mein Kampf" in a public library (how else can people,
especially kids, realize what a sociopath Hitler was without reading his
manifesto?), as well as "Lady Chatterly's Lover," "Tropic of Cancer," and
"Huck Finn" (I never really _got_ what's wrong with "Huck Finn"). Certainly
students of psychology and Victorian mores should have free access to Frank
Harris' "My Secret Life." The poetry of Swindburne (_there's_ one twisted
bastard!) and Sappho should be on the shelf. So why not "Debbie Does
Digital"?

</rant>

BTW, this from /. is topical:
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2675701,00.html. Maybe the
whole exercise will be moot by the time you find software your clients like
:-)

Lan Barnes                 lanbarnes at earthlink.net
Icon Consulting, Inc       858-273-6677
Key fingerprint = 57D6 C219 140A A81E 26C6  8138 0E62 7F4A 2659 7389

First they ignore you,
 Then they laugh at you,
  Then they fight you,
   Then you win.