> Linksys has some wlan cards out now that are ultra cheap, and supposedly
> work much better than the Lucent cards.  I think they work w/ linux too, but
> I haven't tried it yet.

They definitely do.
There was a report this week on the linux-wlan-user list about both the
price (Compusa $99 after rebate) and the fact that Linksys WPC11 works
fine with the driver.

Just to clarify, you don't really need an AP; just set up a linux box to
do the job. That means wireless network for the price of 2 pcmcia cards &
an ISA adapter.

The LinkSys cards do not have a socket for external antenna, which some
other cards do. The antenna is ideal, but not necessary.

I've used the Lucent cards, and they work great -- even with the lucent
driver. But I wouldn't buy one cuz they're so expensive and I don't know
why else.

Andy