On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 01:38:11PM -0600, Austad, Jay wrote:
> Doesn't work.  I modified it because I'm calling it in a shell and some of
> the chars were being interpreted by the shell.  But it still doesn't work.
> Nothing gets replaced.  Any ideas?
>

> perl -pi -e "s/\(\\W\)/\\\$1/ge"

This doesn't look right to me.  By escaping the ( and ) they are
interpreted literally, instead of defining a group.  If the shell is
messing with you, I'd just write a perl script.  Just set it up so that it
opens the file, replaces the characters and writes the result to a new
file.  It's much longer to write, but it would work :)  And you'd lear file
I/O in Perl if you don't already.

Gabe
Gabe Turner				       |  	   X-President,
UNIX Systems Administrator,		       | Assoc. for Computing Machinery
U of M Supercomputing Institute for	       |    University of Minnesohta
Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation    |       dopp at acm.cs.umn.edu

"Happy Happy Happy!  Joy Joy Joy!!"
				    - Stimpson J. Cat