You don't have to do anything with inetd.  Inetd is only for setting up
network access to programs that don't normally run as a daemon.

You have your IN NS lines setup correctly and the SOA at the top of the
config file?

Does nslookup say "non-authoritative"?  If not, it's considered
authoritative.

Keep in mind that you cannot give your DNS server a private address and NAT
it to a public one.  I've heard that you might be able to with Bind 9, but I
haven't tried it.  This doesn't sound like your problem, but keep that in
mind.

Jay