In some instances the UPS would not completely discharge the new batteries.  In other
instances it would not completely charge following a discharge.  APC didn't give us a
good explanation for it, and I didn't have the time to reverse engineer their
circuitry so we just sent the UPS in.  We didn't always have to do this.  There was
no corrilation between battery/ups age and this occurance.  If we got 3 minutes out
of em at full load we were happy and didn't send em in.

The only possible explination is that the EEPROM might have taken a static hit while
we were digging inside.  So use ESD precautions while digging around inside.  Option
12 on this list:
http://159.215.19.5/kbasewb2.nsf/For+External/0E34F49857898AA9852566C200516E58?OpenDocument

They had us do this before sending in bad units.

Chris Gahlon