On Mon, 15 Jan 2001, Subba Rao wrote:

> One of my Linux system has a slave disk which is 20GB.
>
> (0)root at myhost:/~# fdisk /dev/hdc
>
> The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 2646.
> There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
> and could in certain setups cause problems with:
> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
>    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
>
> Command (m for help)
>
> (0)root at myhost:~/
>
> The disk partitions at the begining of the disk are Linux ext2 filesystems.
> Four partitions at the end of the disk are FAT16/msdos. The DOS partitions
> have been defined in /etc/fstab but at bootup time, these file systems are
> not getting mounted. I cannot even mount them manually. When I tried to mount
> them,
> 	mount -t auto /dev/hdc5 /msdos
>
> then the filesystem is mounted as a ext2 filesystems. When I try to mount them
> as msdos filesystems,
>
> 	mount -t msdos /dev/hdc5 /msdos
>
> then the following message appears:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc5,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> The goal is to create a raw partition for VMWare on the /dev/hdc5 partition and
> install NT over it rely on M$ systems.
>
> How can I create raw partitions for VMware on large HDs and mount them?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Unless you define the DOS partitions in the first 512MB of the disk, I
don't think you'll be able to use "partition", or "whole disk" mode of
VMware to get to them.

Instead, you can create the partition as ext2, mount it, and just place
all of your disk files in that partition.

The problem is that VMWare actually loads a copy of DOS (W9x DOS anyway),
so it will have the same issues that an actually-running DOS/BIOS
configuration would have, when running in "partition" or "whole
disk" mode.

Using disk files will make the hard disk(s) show up as normal hard disks
in VMWare (i.e. the running OS will have no knowledge of how the disk is
actually laid out), so these issues are less likely to apply.

IMHO, it is always better to put DOS/NT partitions first, since Linux
handles living on the end of the disk much better.

 --
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
What the president of the Motion Picture Association of America says about

"I'm rather jubilant now. What Judge Kaplan did was blow away every one of
these brittle and fragile rebuttals. He threw out fair use; he threw out
reverse engineering; he threw out linking."

- Jack Valenti, president of the Motion Picture Association of America.

______         _ __         "If you don't have the freedom to use what you
  /           ' )  )               own - then you do not own anything."
 / o ______    /  / _  . .    No apologies to Jack Valenti or the MPAA
/ <_/ / / <   /  (_</_(_/_  -- tneu at visi.com / http://www.visi.com/~tneu --