I run it.  I sniff about 30MBit of traffic, and it pegs the CPU on a PIII
733.  If I disable the defrag module, it goes down to about 20% utilization,
but you won't get alerted on everything if you do that.  I'm going to be
ordering a couple of AMD 1.2Ghz thunderbirds boxes soon to do this, because
I have one link that does about 45Mbit sustained during the day that I want
to sniff, and I know the PIII won't handle it.

If you set it up, make sure you set up ACID from the AirCert project also.
It makes reporting and digging for the info you want much easier using a PHP
interface and MySQL.  Otherwise, you'll be digging through logfiles using
grep.