here's my take on technology movie making.  hopefully everyone has seen
"hackers", and most of you probably go "ewwww, what a crappy movie".  if
you thought it was crap, you missed the point, by focusing your geek brain
on things that were not supposed to matter.. which is where the writers
made their big mistake, and I think hollywood writers continue to make
mistakes.  I'm going to make a few examples, and give some correct, and
incorrect useage of technology in movies.  this might get long winded, so
bare with me.  the big problem that I see, is hollywood writers are trying
to make themselvs look cool, by using real-world technology terms that the
non-tehcnical people in the audience will go "oo! ahhh!" over.  this is a
big mistake, in the movie hackers, the world is not the same as it is in
real life.  it's a fictious world, just like the world is fictious in the
matrix (if you havn't seen that one, you should be shot, then forced to
watch it :)  the problem is they made it too close to reality, no modems
arn't that fast, no GFX arn't that fancy, and no, you can't manipulate
most traffic lights like that. (or even sprinkler systems) but in the
world of "hackers"  it is possible, get over it, it wasn't the point of
the movie.  good examples are these: matrix, it's a fantasy world, none
of the technology is real, in the matrix reality, nor in the future world.
the audience is brought to that attention, immidiatly,  YES they used
minidisks for the less common data pourpous, but that's just a small,
iconic, usefull, and shiny prop.  and yes, they smashed their fingers on
LCD's that were most likely not really touchscreen.  but you gloss over
that, because it's not reality.
another example is startrek, untill recent years, they had excelent
writers, that used mostly babble technology, stuff that was either pure
theory, or didn't exist at all.  or they used things that were so
base-line like binary numbers, that it can't be dated.  maybe in 20 years,
some of the passwords they used, and the voiceprint id stuff will be too
insecure for use.  but they made it so obviously fictitious, that it
didn't invoke too much of your reality side of the brain.
Babylon 5 was also good in this respect.
"the net" is another example of trying to use too much real, existing
technology, trying to impress non-tech audiences.  all it would have taken
was a bit more effort, and they could have pulled off a much better
movie.. you must throw in things that don't really exist, and set the
placement of the movie far enough into the future that props you use,
won't exist before the movie is out.  otherwise you end up fighting movie
critics who like to poke fun in documentaries for historical inacurices.

my spelling is horrid, but my ideas are there.

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben at nerp.net)