Charles Fulton wrote:

> CD-RWs must be written in one shot like a CD-R, the advantage being that you can
> erase them and use it again.  They are not random access like a HD or other
> magnetic media.  My experience is sort of so so with CD-RWs anyway.  Some
> CD-ROMs like them, some don't.  I mostly use them to test images and use a plain
> CD-R if I want to move data to somewhere.

Many drives support packet writing, so you don't have to write the whole
disc at once.  Under some circumstances, you can also get the drive to
work much like a floppy drive (as I said before, I think this involves
the UFS filesystem..).  Of course, discs written in packet mode are not
readable by many things (certainly not your portable CD player).

As for Tim's earlier question about whether Ext2 can be put on a CD --
yes, absolutely.  You just can't write to it like a regular drive.
You'd make big empty file, run mke2fs on it, mount it as a loopback
filesystem, copy the files onto it, unmount, and then write that file to
the CD.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   MS-DOS: celebrating