I installed Dweebian on my brand-new 1.1GHz machine (does a 'make bzImage on
2.2.18 in 1m48s!), with a nifty new G450 vid board.

after figuring out what packages I needed, I installed XFree86 4.0.2, and ran
XFree86 -configure. moved the resulting config file to
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and tried running 'XFree86 -xf86config
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4'

unfortunately, this produces a blank screen, which does not respond to
keyboard input. :(
ssh'ing in, and killing XFree86 doesn't release the console either. :(

I have to run 'reboot' from my ssh session, in order to kill it. :(
(any way to re-initialize the console remotely, and reset it without
rebooting?)

anyone seen anything like this before? the file made by XFree86 -configure,
should produce at least a *working* output, if not an optimal one.

there don't seem to be any problematic error messages in
/var/log/XFree86.0.log

maybe in the morning I'll be able to think of something...

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises