"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote:

> When my DSL was installed, I told him (COVAD guy) that I was using FreeBSD
> for my gateway and that was the way it had to be.  He was fine with it - he
> set everything up on his laptop and did his tests from there.  Once he was
> sure the connection was live, he left me all the information.  It was
> completely up to me to get it working with FreeBSD - which only took a
> couple of minutes.
>
> Tom Veldhouse
> veldy at veldy.net

Thanks everyone for the great replies - I'm forwarding them to my brother.

When I got DSL (which was quite a long time ago), I just got a big box from
US West - amongst all the other stuff in the box was an addendum which was quite
specific to whatever linux I was running at the time.

I was very impressed - actually I'm still impressed.  I've upgraded my kernel
umpteen times since then and never had to touch anything in regards to my
DSL service.  It's been as as close to perfect as anything I have ever
dealt with.

Now before you brand me a Qwest turncoat, ask me about my experiences with
Qworst at work...